Tuesday 19 March 2013

Boundaries everywhere...


Today I was yet again taken aback and surprised by an act of ‘normality’ in the playground. After much persuasion and tactics I managed to get the ‘most popular boy in school’ aka a strong minded able 16 year old to participate and feature in a contempory dance piece I am cheographing for a dance festival.
On the way to rehearsals me and the student walked through the basketball courts (where this student is normally found)When a fellow students called out “hey ****** where are you going?” The student then replied “Dance rehearsals” proudly, honestly and matter of factly. This I can only say was met with a shocked response full of offensive mutterings… and this to a “popular” kid.
Boundaries: They are literally everywhere! Forget boundaries in the classroom, I am now looking at peers, parents and society.
Please discuss with me your own experiences as I feel this is a topic close to many of our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nina,
    I think this is a common problem with boys in dance. As teachers know if they are lucky enough to have boys start in their lessons at a young age then it is rare that they continue into their teens due to the responses of their peers.
    I also think for some boys the response of their parents are also a barrier, some parents don't want their boys taken part in what is still considered a girls hobby.
    Being a teenager is often a difficult time and the opinions and reactions of your peers mean a lot to you, I think this is often a barrier to being creative and express as you worry what others will think of you. Creating a safe, accepting and supportive classroom I think helps with overcoming this?
    Did your student overcome the opinions of his peers and continue in the performance?? do you think students like him will also be key in changing the opinions of his class mates?

    ReplyDelete