Thursday 18 October 2012

Asking the Perfect Question.



·     What’s my intent (value) behind this question.
·      Ethically who should I ask
·      Who has the competence to answer this question
·      What do I want to get out of this question
·      What do I imagine I’ll find out
·      I should embrace/seek different perspectives to challenge pre-conceptions
·      What other questions could I ask
·      I should ask questions that prompt people to ask questions back- creating a conversation
·      I should know the difference between instant and crafted questions
·      You can tell a lot about people by the questions that they ask
·      Is your questioning influenced by your social conditions
·      Am I asking in the correct context for the information I am seeking
·      How many questions should I ask to get the insight I’m looking for
·      What is the relevance? What is the validity of the question
·      Clarity, I should have quality over quantity of questions
1.     When did I ask it
2.     Can I add more
3.     Do I agree
4.     Can I change it
·      Research the person I am questioning. Are they a reliable source?
·      What is the environment I am asking my question in
·      Enquiry should unpack assumptions
·      Do I have a biased opinion
What is bias:
1.     One sided opinion
2.     Background before question/knowledge
3.     Values
4.     Passive element and/or perspective
All research is biased in some way. (Newspapers for example)

·      Authenticity: have I had a proper representation of their view?
·      Is it bad research have I hid intent behind the questions

Be upfront with our enquiries and honest, and then bias will be slightly eliminated. 

2 comments:

  1. I think your topic area might also make the issues around asking questions more tangible. What do you want to find out about? Topic and inquiry question (s)- who knows about the topic? practitioner research - literature and people who have expertise or data about what you are interested in finding out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also what are the codes of practice with which you work?

    ReplyDelete