Wednesday 2 November 2011

Quantity or Quality?

I admit I haven't posted as much as I could have and that frustrates me... Like most people on here I work full time and also teach in my spare time after that, but the problem that has stopped me sitting and writing my thoughts is finding that ideal "thinking space". My house is so busy that ive struggled to find a quiet time to sit with my laptop and a cup of tea and type! Which leads me to the question... Quantity or quality of our blogging? 
I know the essay (or essays in my case as I graduated 2007) is quality based but with my blogging i am trying to work out if it is more beneficial to write a little a day when i can or wait until i can completely focus and write about things of more depth with more reflection behind it?
Comments Please .......
Thanks guys. 

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean Nina. I am also working full time and it is difficult to find a quiet space to collect your thoughts and then produce quality comments and blogs. Have you been writing your journal? At least that way you can write down your thoughts without the worry that other people are going to be reading it. And when you do find a quiet moment, you have a back-log of thoughts to comment and reflect on (your quantity), which will then be written up in a professional way (your quality).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina,

    I have found I am asking myself the same question!

    My conclusion is that I think with this type of thing writing little but often would be more useful because then, when looking back over, you can see how your mood, thoughts, feelings and reactions have changed with regards to similar situations that may a reoccurred. When writing a few days after the event, if it has unfolded, the feeling may have morphed so you won’t get an accurate account or reflection on the situation.

    I need to keep reminding myself this too as I keep forgetting/procrastinating on writing my journal entries. I need to take the bull by the horns and get on with it so hopefully, after a while, it won’t feel like so much of a chore.

    I hope this helped.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is it - to each her own as they say. Finding quiet time is difficult and as we are the artistic procrastinators and perfectionists (sorry - this is mainly directed to myself - but I have the tendencies in a few others in my time) waiting around for quality when small bits of quantity might do the job is also something to consider.... I think a combination works well. This first module is about your finding the way that you can collect your thoughts using some very good adult learning theories and try to answer the question you have posed - what is the best way for me to organise my learning/continued professional development?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have had the same problem. I think its better to be reflective and write when we have more to say.

    I think this was VERY relevent post Nina!

    ReplyDelete